Monday, December 20, 2010

in the simple things

It was 7:37 when I finally heaved myself out of bed, fighting against the negative attitude trying to take over my mind. It was Sunday and I wanted to sleep in. I didn't know of anyone who was going to fellowship, but somehow I felt I should go. So I half-heartedly dressed and got ready. Tannah sent me a message and asked if I was going. She too had felt the pull to go and wanted to know she would be alone.
We met Abram and Jordan downstairs and walked to the gate. To our surprise, three of our friends joined us there.
On the way to the fellowship, one of my friends- who has been asking a lot of good questions, told me she had been to the fellowship the day before because she hadn't been able to go the Sunday before. She had gone on her own. I was surprised and so happy because the father had been laying her on my heart and I had been lifting her up just the day before.
We went to the service and, as is my custom, I read the message text and journaled throughout the time. The Father faithfully met me and it was a refreshing 2 hours. Around 10:30, we ended and my friend eagerly asked if we would stay for the young adults group. I had balked at the idea before, wanting to 'be productive' and get things done on my afternoons. But I promised I would stay so Tannah, another friend and I stayed. They sang passionately to the Son, had another message and then gathered around a simple and beautiful meal provided by the older women in the fellowship. We had cabbage, pork and noodles over rice and sour veggies along with that. One of the women came in and told me " It is simple, but it is a gift from the Father."

As we ate, my friend and I began to talk about faith. She shared some issues she still has questions about and I got to clarify some of her questions by sharing again the most important story of all time. There is a desire there to combine the father above with the ideas of prosperity and good luck and you get a faith that doesn't change you but provides you with a bit of self-confidence. She was thinking of the faith in these terms. Oh that he would rip this idea away and replace it with his passionate love. Oh that He would take her and ravish her and that she would be completely flooded and ruined by his love and the depth and width and all that he has done in history and today.

What a privilege it was to talk to her about this truth. When we finished, I found Tannah had also talked truth with our other friend. It seems they are hungry and desiring to be fed and He strategically places us (even when we have bad attitudes) to use us despite ourselves. It is humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment